Ground Beef Vegetable Soup is an easy and healthy meal perfect for a chilly day in winter. It’s made with ground beef and vegetables in a savory broth. Sprinkle fresh parsley over the top and serve it to your friends and family in just one hour.
Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
This ground beef vegetable soup recipe is the perfect match for dark winter nights when you want to eat a healthy meal but don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking. This stovetop version can be altered to be made in an instant pot or crock pot as well if you want to change the cooking method. This Busy Day Soup recipe is made with simple ingredients and is a dish everyone will love.
Brown the ground beef with the onion in a large stock pot.
When the beef is cooked through, add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
Stir in the potato, mixed vegetables, beef broth and Italian seasoning.
Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
These tips and tricks will help you make this easy soup recipe.
- Add the potatoes in the last 15 minutes of simmering to ensure they won’t get mushy.
- Use a combination of flour and beef broth to thicken the soup at the end of cooking.
- Be sure to brown the ground beef and onion before adding the other ingredients for flavor.
This stove top soup is an easy meal to make and can easily be adjusted to fit your tastes and preferences. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Use small round potatoes instead of dicing russet potatoes.
- Try fresh veggies like diced carrots, frozen peas, and frozen or canned corn if you can’t find the mixed vegetables in the grocery store or you already have the ingredients at home.
- Add a combination of dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, bay leaves, and oregano in place of the Italian seasoning. You can also add onion powder and garlic powder for extra flavor.
- Add green beans, asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, bell pepper, or other fresh vegetables to this soup.
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef.
- Add in some Worcestershire sauce or tomato paste for even more flavor.
How To Serve
Serve this easy hamburger soup with crusty bread, garlic bread, or a green salad. It’s a meal your whole family will love.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Keep leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: When you’re ready to reheat, you can pour some soup into a bowl and heat it up in the microwave in 30-second increments until it’s hot all the way through.
Freeze: This hearty soup is perfect to freeze and eat later. Make a batch and store it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bags in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat some frozen soup, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight or heat it up in the microwave, stirring, until it’s hot in the middle.
Can I make ground beef vegetable soup in an instant pot?
Yes, you can make this vegetable beef soup in a pressure cooker if you’d like. It will cook faster and will still have the same great flavor.
What is the best kind of ground beef to use in ground beef vegetable soup?
Get the best quality you can find with an 80/20 lean-to-fat ratio. The fat is what provides the rich beef flavor, so this is a good ratio.
Can I use chicken broth in place of beef broth in ground beef vegetable soup?
It’s not a good idea to use chicken broth in place of beef broth in a soup like this. The flavors will be off and it won’t taste as rich and delicious as it should.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables (mine had green beans, corn, carrots, and peas)
- 64 ounces beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef with the onion in a large stock pot.
- When the beef is cooked through, add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in the potato, mixed vegetables, beef broth and Italian seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1263mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g