Lasagna Soup is a slow cooker meal made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, herbs, lasagna noodles, garlic, ricotta, and mozzarella cheese. It’s slowly simmered for six hours while all the ingredients blend together in the crockpot. This lazy lasagna is perfect for cold winter days.
This healthy crockpot soup is made by sauteeing the hamburger, herbs, and spices in a pan until it’s browned. All the ingredients, except the cheeses, are then combined together in the slow cooker and covered with the lid. While the soup cooks, you’re free to go about your day without worrying about what you’re going to make for dinner later.
You also have time to make a side dish like a loaf of homemade crusty bread or pop some frozen dinner rolls into the oven. Roasted or steamed vegetables also go well with this soup. Whichever you decide, this will be a meal your family will enjoy.
How to make lasagna soup
Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic.
Spray the bowl of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and add the cooked beef.
Mix in the Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, and lasagna noodles.
Stir to combine.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
Serve the soup topped with ricotta and mozzarella cheese.
Tips for Success/Variations:
Here are some tips and tricks that will help you make the best lasagna soup you’ve ever tasted.
- Try using the instant pot to make this a one-pot meal rather than the slow cooker.
- If you’d like to try a different type of pasta, spaghetti, shells, elbows, penne, ziti, and orecchiette are great options.
- Substitute the ricotta with cottage cheese for a different texture.
- Leave out the ground beef and add more vegetables to make this recipe vegetarian. Some great options include asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, or potatoes.
- To make this dish creamy add a half cup of heavy cream to the crockpot.
How to Serve:
Store the slow-cooked lasagna soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
You can also freeze it in quart-sized freezer bags with two cups of soup per bag. This will allow you to thaw only as much as you need and not the entire batch.
How to Store:
Which meat besides ground beef can I use in lasagna soup?
Try using ground Italian sausage or ground turkey in place of the beef.
Is this soup keto-friendly?
This dish includes lasagna noodles. If you leave out the pasta, this is a low-carb meal that will still taste delicious.
How can I make lasagna soup spicy?
Add some red pepper flakes, minced jalapenos, hot Italian sausage, or cayenne powder to punch up the spiciness in this recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 32 ounce container chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 10 oven-ready lasagna noodles, broken into bite-size pieces
- Ricotta and mozzarella cheese for topping
- Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic.
- Spray the bowl of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and add the cooked beef.
- Mix in the Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, and lasagna noodles. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Serve the soup topped with ricotta and mozzarella cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 1322mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g