Pumpkin Spice Mocha Bombs
Sipping on a pumpkin spice latte is a must when the fall season rolls around. But why make a plain pumpkin spice coffee when you can make a pumpkin spice mocha bomb instead? These little round chocolate balls are packed with fall flavor! Featuring dark chocolate, pumpkin spice, and espresso powder, each mocha bomb is like a fall party in your cup.
What Are Mocha Bombs?
Mocha bombs are a variation on the popular hot cocoa bombs. Both recipes are made with a chocolate shell and are filled with delicious treats. While hot chocolate bombs are often filled with hot cocoa powder and marshmallows, mocha bombs feature espresso inside. When hot milk is poured over the bomb, the instant espresso combines with the chocolate shell to create a delicious coffee drink that’s fun to make!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Mocha Bombs
You only need four ingredients to make these easy mocha bombs. And whether you enjoy them yourself or pass them out to your friends and family, these delicious treats are the perfect way to celebrate the fall season. To make your own pumpkin spice mocha bombs at home, you’ll need:
- Dark chocolate chips
- Instant espresso powder
- Pumpkin spice
- Orange melting chocolate
While the ingredients for this recipe are important, there’s one tool you have to have to create your own mocha bombs at home. To create the sphere shape for your bombs, you’ll also need a round silicone mold.
How to Make Mocha Bombs
While these fall mocha bombs look difficult to make, they’re actually so simple to put together. Once you start making them, you’ll want to try different styles and flavors for every season and holiday.
Before you can create the actual bombs, you’ll need to take a few minutes to prepare your chocolate.
Start by placing the dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
Place the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds.
Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the chocolate chips, then heat the chocolate for another 30 seconds.
Repeat this process until the chocolate chips are melted.
It’s important to follow this method for melting your chocolate because if you overheat the chocolate, it will seize up and become unusable.
Melting the chocolate in short 30-second bursts will allow you to keep a close eye on your chocolate to keep from burning it.
When your chocolate is melted, use a spoon to scoop a small amount of chocolate into each half-circle on your silicone mold.
Use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of each half-circle, making sure the entire space is coated in chocolate.
You can add more melted chocolate to each sphere, if needed.
Allow the chocolate to cool completely at room temperature.
Or place the mold in the refrigerator to speed up the hardening process.
When your chocolate is hard, you can start filling your mocha bombs.
Remember you’ll need half the spheres to top your mocha bombs, so you’ll only need to add filling to half the spheres in the mold.
Start by adding espresso powder to the bombs.
Then top the powder with pumpkin spice.
To create the bombs, remove the remaining half circles from the mold and place the edges on a warm plate.
This will melt the chocolate around the edges, allowing you to seal the bombs together.
Once the edges start to melt, carefully place the piece on top of a filled sphere and lightly press the two pieces together.
Continue this process with the remaining bombs.
Now that you have your bombs created, it’s time to decorate.
Reheat the remaining dark chocolate in 15 second intervals until it’s melted.
Transfer the melted chocolate to a piping bag and drizzle it over the top of the bombs.
Then, melt the orange candy according to the package instructions and drizzle it over the top of each of the mocha bombs.
Top the bombs with a little bit more pumpkin spice for added flavor.
Mocha Bomb Tips
Although these mocha bombs look difficult to make, they’re actually so easy to put together! And with these simple tips, you’ll be whipping up batches of bombs in no time:
- Use gloves to keep the chocolate from melting as you put your bombs together. The heat from your fingers may make the chocolate melt as you’re constructing your bombs. But latex gloves will protect the chocolate from your skin’s heat.
- Freeze the bombs for easy construction. Placing the silicone mold in the freezer is a simple way to speed up the setting time. And it makes construction easier because the chocolate becomes sturdier in the freezer.
- Use a zip top bag for easy decorating. If you don’t have piping bags, just place the melted chocolate in a zip-top freezer bag. Cut the tip of the corner off the bag, then drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs.
How to Use Mocha Bombs
Once you have your mocha bombs assembled and decorated, it’s time to turn them into a pumpkin spice mocha! Start by placing one bomb in the bottom of a coffee cup.
Heat one cup of milk in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the milk is hot, pour it over the top of the mocha bomb and watch it explode. As the chocolate melts, the espresso powder will come out, creating a fun explosion in your cup. Use a spoon to stir all the ingredients together and enjoy your delicious fall drink!
- 1 12-ounce package dark chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin spice, plus more for decorating
- ¼ cup orange melting chocolate
- 6 cups hot milk to make the bombs
- Place the dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold.
- Continue this process until all the molds are coated.
- Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely, around 2 to 3 hours.
- You can speed up the process by placing the chocolate in the
- When the chocolate is set, remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold.
- Add around one tablespoon of instant espresso powder and ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice in each piece.
- Heat a glass plate in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Press the sides of an empty chocolate semi-circle onto the hot plate to melt the chocolate, then press the melted edges onto one of the filled pieces.
- Hold until sealed.
- Melt the orange chocolate according to the package instructions and reheat the leftover dark chocolate.
- Place the melted chocolate into piping bags.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs to decorate.
- Sprinkle more pumpkin spice over the top of each bomb.
- Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using, around 1 hour.
- To make the mocha bombs, place the bomb in the bottom of a mug.
- Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the
- When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 4gSugar: 40gProtein: 11g
Pumpkin Spice Playdough – here at When Is Dinner
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats – here at When Is Dinner
The best homemade pumpkin spice latte – from Inspired Taste
Pumpkin Spice Cookies – from Little Sweet Baker