I make my Easy Philly Cheesesteak Pizzas with a homemade pizza dough and top it with my own garlic sauce, some sweet caramelized onions, diced steak, green peppers & a combination of my favorite cheeses for added flavor and texture. This pizza recipe is one the whole family will enjoy!
Easy Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Homemade pizza is always a hit in our house, and with three growing teenage boys, it’s much more affordable to make my Philly Cheesesteak Pizza at home than to order from a local pizza place. They can each eat a large pizza and sides on their own so ordering out can get real expensive!
Making your own pizza dough is a lot easier than you might think, it’s cost effective too. We all love the flavors of philly cheesesteak so I use those flavors here to top this Easy Philly Cheesesteak Pizza.
Once the dough is make I top the pizza with my own garlic sauce, then top that with sweet caramelized onions, some diced cooked steak, some green peppers for extra crunch and finish with a combination of cheeses for a real hit of flavor.
You can make the Homemade Pizza Dough from the recipe included below, or if you’re short on time you can also use store bought pizza dough. There are great options in the non-perishable sauce aisle, refrigerated area, and in the frozen foods section in most stores.
Love the flavors of Philly Cheesesteak? We also enjoy making Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches, Philly Cheesesteak Potato Skins, and Philly Cheesesteak Sliders, so it wasn’t much of a stretch for us to try and make some Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Pizzas.
How to make pizza dough:
Making your own pizza dough could not be any easier, and I show you how in 10 simple steps. Once you know how to do this you will keep coming back to this recipe again and again.
- Start by combining the yeast, sugar and water together in a large bowl.
- Set aside to stand for 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to foam.
- Now stir in the oil and garlic salt.
- Next add 3 cups of flour and blend.
- At this point the dough should be soft and pliable. Slowly add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Then place the dough into an oiled bowl and turn twice to coat in the oil.
- Cover the bowl with kitchen towel or plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place to rise for 90 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
- When dough is done rising, punch down to remove the air and divide into two pieces.
- Roll each piece into a circle and place on pizza pan.
Now the pizza dough is ready to start adding those all important toppings! I have gone for Philly Cheesesteak flavors, but you can top this pizza with any other flavor of pizza toppings that you enjoy.
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Toppings:
While the pizza dough is resting, you can get on with making the pizza toppings:
Caramelize the onions:
- Start by pouring the oil into a pot over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 15-20 minutes until the onions are caramelized and starting to brown.
- Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
Make the Garlic Sauce!
- To make the garlic sauce, melt the butter in same pan you browned onions in.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add in the flour, salt, and cream.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring to combine.
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Assembly:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- This recipe makes 2 pizzas, so divide the dough and roll out the pizza dough onto a greased pizza pan.
- Spread on half the garlic sauce, sprinkle with half the cheese, half the caramelized onions, half the chopped green peppers and half the steak.
- Repeat this process with the second pizza.
- Place the pizza pans into the hot oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Once the pizzas are cooked, slice and serve.
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza ingredients & substitutions:
Homemade Pizza Dough:
- FLOUR: I use Pizza flour to make the dough, you will sometimes see it called “OO” Pizza Flour.
- YEAST: I use 1 tablespoon of powdered yeast for ease.
- OIL: I always use olive oil as it has the best flavor.
- SEASONING: I like to season the pizza dough with garlic salt rather than regular sea salt as it adds extra flavor.
- BUTTER: You can use either salted or unsalted butter to make this Garlic Sauce, just taste to check the seasoning is right.
- GARLIC: I always use fresh garlic as it has the best flavor for this sauce.
- MILK: I use whole or half fat milk to make the garlic sauce.
- FLOUR: I thicken the sauce with regular all purpose flour.
- PEPPERS: I use 2 chopped green peppers, but any other color of pepper would work here too.
- ONIONS: I use yellow onions to make the caramelized onion. But you could use white or red onion here too.
- STEAK: I top the pizza with 1 grilled steak chopped up into small pieces. I use ribeye or sirloin and one whole steak will do both pizzas.
- CHEESE: For flavor and texture I like a combination of 4 cups grated mozzarella, 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
What type of cheese is best for Philly Cheesesteak Pizza?
I like to add a combination of cheeses, that way you get the best balance of flavor and texture. I use shredded mozzarella as it melts beautifully and goes all gooey and the pepper jack cheese has a lovely soft texture too. Finally the Parmesan cheese adds great flavor with just a touch of saltiness.
You can vary the flavor toppings, here are some simple ideas:
- Fry some sliced mushrooms in a little butter and add them along with the green peppers.
- For a little extra spice, add some slices for fresh red chili, jalapeno peppers or red pepper flakes.
- Top with some sliced fresh tomato.
- Add some fresh herbs to the garlic sauce, for example parsley or basil.
Can Easy Philly Cheesesteak Pizza be made ahead?
This is a great make ahead pizza recipe. Prepare the dough and the various pizza toppings earlier in the day, then set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy. Then simply roll out the pizza dough, top the pizzas and cook in the hot oven.
Recipe hints & tips:
- This recipe makes 2 large pizzas, enough to feed 8 people. However, if you are only serving 4 people, only make 1 pizza. The leftover dough can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- The garlic sauce and caramelized onions can also be frozen. So pop them in separate containers into the freezer, ready to make homemade pizza another day.
Love Pizza? Then try these other great pizza inspired recipes here at When is Dinner
- Homemade pizza dough:
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 1/4-3 1/2 cups flour
- Garlic Sauce:
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pizza Toppings:
- 2 green peppers chopped
- 2 onions
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 grilled steak chopped
- 4 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/2 pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Homemade pizza dough:
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1370Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 1107mgCarbohydrates: 183gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 50g
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe:
Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Pizza Crisper Pan, 14-Inch Pizza PanGoodCook Classic Wooden Rolling Pin with easy roll bearingsPyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)OXO 26681 09491001299 Good Grips 4-Inch Pizza Wheel, Stainless SteelKing Arthur Flour Pizza Dough FlavorKitchen Supply 14-Inch x 16-Inch Aluminum Pizza Peel with Wood HandleThe Elements of Pizza: Unlocking the Secrets to World-Class Pies at Home