My one pot cheeseburger pasta dish is a firm family favorite. Not only is this recipe packed full of flavor but it’s a super simple cook too!
My Cheeseburger Pasta recipe is an easy one pot pasta dish that can be prepared, cooked and on the table ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes. Now that’s a winning recipe for me any day of the week, but particularly those busy nights when we want something quick, yet don’t want to compromise on flavor.
Made using gluten free pasta, my one pot cheeseburger pasta is ideal for coeliacs or anyone following a gluten free diet. However, you can also substitute the gluten free pasta with regular pasta if you prefer.
My family love a good cheeseburger and we also love a bowl of pasta. Here we have the best of both – all those wonderful cheeseburger flavors wrapped up together in a pasta dish. Even better, my cheeseburger pasta is made using one pot so there’s less washing up to do afterwards.
How to make my One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta recipe:
- This is a super quick and simple cook so look out all your ingredients, ready to start cooking!
- To begin, crumble the ground beef and brown it along with the diced onion in a Dutch Oven or Stockpot (make sure you use one with a lid, you’ll need it later) over medium high heat.
- I season with a bit of salt and pepper while the beef is cooking.
- The beef is done in around 4 minutes, but cooking times may vary depending on your stove.
- Strain off any excess fat (I use a small colander over a bowl).
- Once the ground beef has cooked add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, ketchup, mustard, uncooked pasta, and 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer until the pasta has cooked.
- I cook my pasta to al-dente in around 14 minutes, but my crew likes it softer, so I let it cook 3 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Serve immediately, topping each plate with some shredded cheese and green onions.
Recipe Flavor Variations:
- PASTA: I have used Barilla Penne Pasta and opted for their Gluten Free pasta. You can use any variety of pasta that your family enjoy eating and it can be gluten free or regular. Fettuccini, spagetti, shells, farfalle or fusilli would all work in this dish so use what you have in the larder.
- PROTEIN: Ground Beef is the protein I have used for my one pot cheeseburger pasta, but you can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey, chicken, lamb or pork, or even a mix of pork and beef if you prefer.
- TOMATOES: I like to use the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with basil and oregano included as this really adds to the flavor of the dish. You can use regular tomato sauce and canned tomatoes if you prefer.
- Once you’ve cooked the ground beef, always take the time to drain off any excess fat. This not only gives you a healthier bowl of pasta, but also stops the sauce from becoming too greasy.
- Cook the pasta to al-dente, so that it has a little bite. Don’t overcook the pasta otherwise it can start to break apart.
- This recipe is easily doubled or trebled up if you are serving a large group.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, heat up gently on the stove or pop into the microwave for a couple of minutes. Add a little water or chicken broth to loosen the sauce if it needs it.
Can this Easy One Pot Pasta Dish be made ahead of time?
As this pasta dish can be cooked and on the table in 30 minutes I like to make it fresh. However, we all have those days when we need to get ahead of the game. So I recommend cooking the pasta and sauce, then setting it aside to cool down, before popping into the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
When ready to enjoy, simply warm the pasta up gently, you don’t want to overcook the pasta at this stage. If the sauce is a little thick add in a little water or chicken broth to loosen the sauce. Then once hot, serve onto plates and finish each plate with some freshly grated cheddar cheese and sliced green onions.
Can I freeze One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta?
This is a great dish to batch cook. Make double the quantity, enjoy some now and freeze the second batch to enjoy at a later date. Once cooked allow the pasta to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
When ready to enjoy defrost thoroughly and heat up gently to warm through, adding a little water or chicken broth if the sauce is too thick. Finish with a topping of freshly grated cheddar cheese and some sliced green onions.
There is so much flavor in my rich and tasty cheeseburger pasta recipe that I like to serve it simply with a dressed green salad, a tomato and cucumber salad, or some steamed vegetables like green beans, broccoli or spinach.
A slice of garlic bread on the side always goes down well at my family dinner table!
Don’t miss these delicious Cheeseburger and Penne Pasta recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie
- Baked Penne Rigate
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
- One Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken with Penne Pasta
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, I used the kind with Basil & Oregano included
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce, I used the kind with Basil & Oregano included
- 2 c Chicken Broth
- 2 c Water
- 1/4 c Ketchup
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 box Barilla Penne Pasta (I used Gluten Free)
- 3 c Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 3 green onions, diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Crumble Ground Beef and brown with diced Onion in Dutch Oven or Stockpot (make sure you use one with a lid, you’ll need it later) over medium high heat.
I season with a bit of salt and pepper while it’s cooking.
Mine was done in about 4 minutes, cooking time may vary according to stove.
Strain excess fat (I use a small colander over a bowl).
Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, ketchup, mustard, pasta, and 2 c shredded cheese.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med and let it simmer until pasta is cooked.
Mine was al dente around 14 minutes, my crew likes it softer, so I let it cook 3 more minutes.
Remove from heat.
Serve immediately, and add additional shredded cheese and green onions as desired to each plate.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 925mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 43g
Try these other delicious Penne Pasta Recipes:
Easy Creamy Ground Beef Pasta from Salt & Lavender
Cheesy Beef and Pasta Casserole from Averie Cooks
30 Minute One Pan Beef Penne from Girl Gone Gourmet