Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken is a rich and creamy dish made with seared chicken breasts and simmered in a sauce of cream, parmesan cheese, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Once the chicken is cooked and placed on a plate, the warm cheese sauce is poured over the top. This is a dish your family will request over and over again.
Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken
This parmesan garlic chicken recipe is made in 4 to 6 hours in a crockpot and is almost completely hands-off. You can start it in the afternoon and it will be ready to eat in the evening. It goes well with dinner rolls, roasted vegetables, or a fruit salad.
How to make slow cooker garlic parmesan chicken
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and sear both sides of each breast.
Spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
Transfer the chicken breasts to bowl of the slow cooker.
In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, garlic, Italian seasoning, cornstarch, and shredded cheese until combined.
Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot and stir the sauce.
Drizzle the cheese sauce over the top of the chicken before serving.
Tips for Success/Variations:
Here are some tips and variations that you can use to make this the slow cooker garlic parmesan chicken you’ve ever had.
- Instead of using chicken breasts, you can use thighs or drumsticks. The darker meat will still be tender at the end of cooking.
- You can add some root vegetables, like potatoes or parsnips, 30 minutes before the end of cooking. You can add more delicate vegetables like asparagus, green beans, kale, or spinach after you turn off the heat.
- Small pasta like macaroni, ditali, shells, or mini bowties would also taste great in this dish. Add the pasta 30 minutes before serving.
How To Serve:
How To Store:
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
To reheat, put the chicken and sauce in a pot and gently bring it to a simmer until it’s hot all the way through the chicken. You might want to put a little water in the soup to thin it out a bit since it will become thicker in the fridge.
You can also reheat it in the microwave. Be sure to place a paper towel or a microwave lid on the bowl so it doesn’t splatter and make a mess of your microwave.
This chicken doesn’t freeze well because the cream may crystallize and won’t reheat well.
How can I make slow cooker garlic parmesan chicken less rich?
If you find the cream sauce a little too rich, you can add a squeeze of lemon juice to offset the flavor.
Do I need to use cream in this dish?
No, you can use chicken broth instead. You can also stir in one cup of cream at the end for a lighter, but still creamy, finish.
How can I thin out the cheese sauce before serving?
You can add a little chicken broth, water, or lemon juice to thin out the sauce before eating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and sear both sides of each breast.
- Spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, garlic, Italian seasoning, cornstarch, and shredded cheese until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot and stir the sauce.
- Drizzle the cheese sauce over the top of the chicken before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 349mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 43g