My 3-ingredient Air Fryer Pizza Taquitos can be made in minutes by piling cheese and pepperoni slices onto corn tortillas, rolling them up and placing then into my air fryer basket. Spray the air fryer pizza rolls with some oil then cook for 4-6 minutes until deliciously crisp and golden.
Air Fryer Pizza Taquitos
These easy air fryer pizza taquitos are essentially air fryer pizza rolls. The corn tortillas are filled with cheese and pepperoni, before being fried in the air fryer until they have turned golden brown and have a nice crunch.
I like to serve these 3-ingredient pizza rolls with my favorite dipping sauce. I’ve opted for a tomato marinara sauce, for that all round pizza flavor experience. Feel free to swap the marinara sauce for your favorite dipping sauce.
Air Fryer pizza taquitos make a quick and delicious snack. I will often double up the recipe for parties, or games day, when I have a crowd of hungry diners to serve.
Taquitos are traditionally made with corn tortillas which are gluten free, so this also makes them suitable for celiacs or anyone following gluten free diet. Just check the marinara sauce label to ensure it’s gluten free too.
- TORTILLAS: I use corn tortillas to make taquitos.
- CHEESE: for ease I use string cheese, which melts really well.
- PEPPERONI: I use a package of regular pepperoni slices, you could also opt for hot pepperoni if you prefer.
- OIL: I spray nonstick cooking spray over the taquitos before cooking in the air fryer.
- DIPPING SAUCE: you can use any variety or flavor of dipping sauce, I’ve opted for my favorite Marinara sauce.
How to make Air Fryer Pizza Taquitos
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
Place the tortillas between two damp paper towels and heat them in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Place four pieces of pepperoni in a row down the center of the tortilla.
Top with one half piece of string cheese.
Fold once side of the tortilla over the cheese, then roll up the tortilla.
Place each tortilla in the basket or tray of your air fryer.
Work in batches, if needed, to keep from overcrowding the tray.
Coat all the taquitos in nonstick cooking spray and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden brown.
Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Swap the sliced of pepperoni for sliced salami, or try adding some shredded chicken or pulled pork.
- Feel free to replace the meat with some sauteed vegetables, like bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and red onions.
- For ease I’ve used string cheese, but you could also use mozzarella, Monterrey jack, pepper jack, a sharp cheddar, or Swiss cheese.
- Spread the corn tortillas with some cream cheese before topping with the other ingredients and rolling up.
- Add chili heat with some pickled jalapenos.
Air fryer BBQ chicken taquitos make a great appetizer or main meal. If serving as an appetizer I serve 2/3 per person along with a dipping sauce, like the delicious marinara sauce I have used here.
You could also serve your taquitos with hot sauce, sweet chili sauce, tomato ketchup, or a sour cream and chive dip. Use any flavor dipping sauce that you and your family enjoy eating.
You can also top your taquitos with a variety of toppings, here are some suggestions:
- shredded cheese
- fresh tomato salsa
- shredded lettuce
- plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- sliced jalapenos
- pickled red onions
- sliced green onions
Recipe hints & tips
- Prepare the pizza taquitos earlier in the day, roll them up and place in a covered dish in the refrigerator. Then when ready to eat, all you need to do is spray the taquitos with cooking oil and cook in the air fryer.
- Place the taquitos in a single layer in the air fryer basket with a little space around each, to ensure they fry rather than steam.
- This recipe is easily doubled up if feeding a crowd, just ensure you work in batches and avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket.
Taquitos are traditionally fried, but you can bake them in the oven if you prefer. Roll up the tortillas, place on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking oil. Then place the baking sheet into a hot oven at 425 degrees F and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
The difference is the type of tortilla that is used. Taquitos are made with corn tortillas, whereas flautas are made with flour tortillas.
Leftover taquitos can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When ready to reheat, place back into the air fryer to warm through and crisp up again.
Yes, taquitos are easily frozen. I like to assemble the taquitos and freeze them before they are cooked. Roll up and place on a baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for one hour. Then remove the sheet and place the taquitos in a freezer bag, or airtight container and place pack in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready bake in the air fryer from frozen, giving the taquitos a quick spray of oil before cooking. You will need to add additional cooking time if cooking from frozen.
Try some of my favorite Mexican inspired dishes here at When is Dinner
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Tacos
- Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
- Beef and Bean Burritos
- Sopapilla Cheesecake
- Taco Pasta Bake
- Mexican Chicken
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 4 pieces string cheese, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 package pepperoni slices
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Place the tortillas between two damp paper towels and heat them in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Place four pieces of pepperoni in a row down the center of the tortilla.
- Top with one half piece of string cheese.
- Fold once side of the tortilla over the cheese, then roll up the tortilla.
- Place each tortilla in the basket or tray of your air fryer.
- Work in batches, if needed, to keep from overcrowding the tray.
- Coat all the taquitos in nonstick cooking spray and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is approximate and for guidance only.