These cute & easy to make Pencil Cookies are a perfect back to school snack idea! Only 3 ingredients required to make these wafer pencil cookies, and they are so simple to make you can get the kids involved. This is a great end of holiday activity with the kids.
The Back to School Season will be in full swing soon, and I have another very cute & easy idea for parents to make with their children before returning to school. It’s also a great activity for Teachers/PTO members to make for Meet the Teacher Days!
Like the Apple Cookie Pops I shared earlier this week, these Easy Pencil Cookies require just a few ingredients to create. I used lemon flavor wafer cookies, white and pink melting chocolate and some chocolate chips for the pencil tips.
These wafer pencil cookies make the perfect back to school treat, and your kids will sure be happy to find one in their lunch boxes.
How to make Pencil Cookies
- Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the squared corners off of one side of each wafer cookie so they are in the shape of a point at one end.
- Melt the white and pink chocolate according to package directions.
- Use the white melting chocolate to draw around the edge of the triangle tip of each wafer cookie to create the “pencil tip”.
- Fill in the triangle in with the chocolate.
- Place a chocolate chip on the very end (point facing out).
- Use the pink melting chocolate to trace around the opposite squared end of the wafer cookie, and completely fill in a rectangular shape to create the “eraser”.
- Complete this process for all cookies.
- Allow the melted chocolate to completely cool and set before enjoying.
Wafer Pencil Cookies ingredients:
- COOKIES: I’ve used rectangular shaped lemon flavored Gluten Free Wafer Cookies, but you can use regular wafer cookies if you don’t need gluten free.
- MELTING CHOCOLATE: I use a combination of white and pink melting chocolate to draw on cookies.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: chocolate chips are used to create the pencil point, use mini chocolate chips for smaller cookies.
- Swap wafer cookies, for rectangular shaped sandwich cookies.
- You can use any flavor of chocolate, for example chocolate orange chips would taste great with these lemon wafer cookies.
- Or swap the pink melted chocolate for regular milk chocolate.
- Add some colored or chocolate sprinkles to the pink chocolate at the base of the pencil cookie.
Recipe hints & tips
- A serrated knife is easiest when cutting up the wafer cookies and stops then falling apart.
- Sandwich bags are ideal for making mini piping bags for decorating the cookies with melted chocolate.
Store these wafer pencil cookies in an airtight container, as you would any other cookie. They will store for up to a week, assuming they last that long!
Try some of my favorite easy cookie recipes here at When is Dinner:
- Cake Mix Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
- Pink Lemonade Cookies
- Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Crinkle Cookies
- Wafer Cookies
- White melting chocolate
- Pink melting chocolate
- Chocolate chips (Use mini chocolate chips for smaller cookies)
- Other Materials:
- Sandwich bags
Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the squared corners off of one side of each wafer cookie so they are in the shape of a point at one end.
Melt the white and pink chocolate according to package directions.
Scoop each color of melting chocolate into its own sandwich bag. Press the chocolate all the way until it reaches the bottom of one corner of the bag. Use scissors to snip off a very small tip to allow the chocolate to slowly flow through.
Use the white melting chocolate to draw around the edge of the triangle tip of each wafer cookie to create the “pencil tip”. Fill in the triangle in with the chocolate. Place a chocolate chip on the very end (point facing out).
Use the pink melting chocolate to trace around the opposite squared end of the wafer cookie, and completely fill in a rectangular shape to create the “eraser”.
Complete this process for all cookies. Allow melting chocolate to completely cool before enjoying.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 24Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
These are a few items I find helpful when crafting these Pencil Cookies:
Keebler Sugar Wafer Vanilla, 2.75-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)Wilton 1911-13 Candy Melts, Bright WhiteWilton 1911-424 Candy Melts, 12-Ounce, Bright PinkNESTLE TOLL HOUSE Real Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 12 oz. BagZiploc Sandwich Bags – 125-CountOXO Good Grips Pro 5