Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken makes an easy weeknight meal with chicken breasts, taco seasoning, chicken broth, and tomatoes with green chilies. The chicken is slow-cooked for maximum flavor and juiciness. Use it to make tacos, burritos, add to soups, or wrap up in chicken enchiladas.
Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
This shredded chicken recipe is perfect for meal prep by making it on Monday and using it in various dishes for the rest of the week. This easy slow cooker meal is a go-to recipe when you’re busy and need something simple but delicious for a healthy dinner. Making shredded chicken is the easiest way to make tacos or enchiladas and don’t forget to use your favorite toppings!
Place the chicken in the pot of the slow cooker.
Add the chicken broth and taco seasoning.
Add the diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel is what I used).
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot and shred with a fork.
Return the meat and stir to combine with the sauce.
These tips and tricks will help you make the best slow-cooker Mexican shredded chicken.
- Low-sodium chicken broth or stock will ensure the chicken isn’t too salty.
- If you don’t have taco seasoning on hand you can use a combination of cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Use 3 or 4 large chicken breasts for this recipe to get six to eight servings.
This crockpot Mexican chicken is an easy recipe that you can change based on your tastes and preferences. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Use diced tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes and a small can of green chilies if you can’t find them combined at the store.
- Use homemade chicken broth instead of store-bought if you have some available.
- Instead of using only chicken breasts, you can cook and shred a whole chicken. This will be more servings and a variety of white and dark meat.
How To Serve
You can serve this Mexican chicken recipe in many other dishes. Pair it with black beans and rice in burrito bowls or use it to make chicken tacos. Squeeze a bit of lime juice, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and top with sour cream right before serving.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Store leftover shredded chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: When you’re ready to reheat the chicken, put it in the microwave and heat it in 30-second increments until it’s warm all the way through.
Freeze: This chicken is also great to freeze and save for later. If you make the chicken in advance, you can put it in a plastic container and freeze it for up to three months. When you’re ready to use it in a dish, remove it from the freezer and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Otherwise, you can microwave the frozen chicken until it’s heated through.
What type of chicken is best for crockpot Mexican shredded chicken?
The best type of chicken to use is boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Can I make Mexican shredded chicken in an instant pot?
Yes, you can use a pressure cooker to make this chicken. It takes much less time and the flavors are great!
How long does it take to cook crockpot shredded chicken?
The chicken needs to cook in the slow cooker for six hours on low or four hours on high.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Place the chicken in the pot of the slow cooker and add the chicken broth.
- Top with taco seasoning and diced tomatoes.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with a fork.
- Return the meat and stir to combine with the sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 849mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 36g