Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is warm and gooey and perfect served for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Baking banana bread makes your house smell wonderful and everyone will enjoy a slice slathered with butter, Nutella, or peanut butter.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This banana bread recipe is healthy and incredibly tasty! Made with ripe bananas and chocolate chips right in your own kitchen. This one-bowl dessert is the comfort food you need to make this Sunday afternoon.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir together the bananas, white sugar, brown sugar, egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
You can use your favorite brand of vanilla extract or consider trying this Homemade Vanilla Extract Recipe. This recipe is incredibly easy & budget-friendly, and you can start a batch in less than 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with extra chocolate chips.
Bake for one hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cover the loaf with foil for the last 15 minutes if it becomes too brown.
Tips and variations
Here are some variations and tips on how to make the best banana bread you’ve ever had.
- Freeze blackening bananas to save for banana bread later.
- Add toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the batter before baking for a beautiful presentation.
- Allow the butter to come to room temperature before mixing it into the batter.
- Use a combination of brown sugar and white sugar to make the bread moister.
- Turn the bread into muffins by pouring the batter into a muffin pan. The cooking time will be less for this method.
- Add peanut butter to the batter or cocoa powder for chocolate banana bread.
- Use homemade vanilla extract if you have some available.
- Make the bread gluten-free by using almond flour instead of all-purpose flour.
How to serve
Serve banana bread sliced and slightly warmed up with a spread of Nutella, peanut butter, butter, or jam on top.
How to store
On the counter: You can keep baked banana bread on the counter for three days if you know you’re going to eat it right away.
To refrigerate: If you want it to last a few more days, wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, place it in a large zip lock bag, and put it in the refrigerator. This will keep your bread fresh for five to seven days.
Remember to let the bread cool completely before slicing, otherwise, it will crumble.
To freeze: Banana bread is perfect for freezing. Make a double batch and freeze the second one to use later. Allow it to thaw on the counter or in the refrigerator.
Why is my banana bread not moist?
If your banana bread came out dry, there are a couple of reasons why this might happen. Either the bread was overbaked or there wasn’t enough liquid in the batter. Try adding yogurt or sour cream to make it even moister.
Can bananas be too ripe for banana bread?
It’s best to use overripe bananas for banana bread because they are sweeter and mash-up better. If you see black spots that’s fine, however, you don’t want to use rotten bananas. If they smell rancid or look moldy, then go ahead and throw them away.
What are the best chocolate chips for banana bread?
The best chocolate chips are your favorite chocolate chips! Some good options are semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chips, or mini chocolate chips.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the bananas, white sugar, brown sugar, egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for one hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Cover the loaf with foil for the last 15 minutes if it becomes too brown.