No-Bake Red White and Blue Berry Shortcakes are delicious little cups of shortcake filled with fresh berries and a cream cheese frosting. There’s no baking involved in this recipe, making it as quick and easy as they come. This dessert is perfect for serving after dinner on a hot summer night, 4th of July, or to bring to a backyard barbecue.
No-Bake Red White and Blue Shortcakes
This berry shortcake recipe is the ultimate dessert for hot summer nights when you don’t want to turn on the oven but still want to eat shortcake! Topped with fresh strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and creamy frosting, this is sure to be your family’s new favorite dessert.
For the frosting: add sugar, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla to a large bowl.
Use a hand mixer on medium speed to mix until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides as needed.
Continue mixing until frosting reaches a fluffy and creamy consistency.
Frost each shortcake by spooning the frosting and then cover with the berries.
The leftover berries can be placed on the plate next to each shortcake.
Tips and Variations
This mixed berry shortcake recipe is delicious and easy to make. Here are some tips and variations that will make it the best shortcake dessert you’ve ever had!
- Mix the sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries in a large bowl with a bit of sugar and let it rest for 30 minutes. This will break down the fruit and make it a sweet and delicious topping.
- Combine the fruit in a food processor and mix it with the frosting to make a whipped berry topping.
- Exchange the vanilla extract for almond extract for a slightly different flavor in the frosting.
- Add a scoop of ice cream to these berry shortcakes for added decadence.
- The vanilla dessert shells can be found in the bakery section or near the strawberries.
- Can use heavy cream in place of the milk, if you would like fluffier frosting.
How To Serve
Serve these no-bake red, white, and blue shortcakes at a summer barbecue with other desserts like cheesecake pudding pie, strawberry cake roll, cherry limeade cake, or cherry cheesecake poke cake.
How To Store
If you have any leftover shortbread cakes, berries, or cream cheese frosting, you can save them to eat later.
Make sure to save them all separately, so the cakes or fruit don’t become mushy while sitting in the fridge.
You can keep them in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
These berry shortcakes don’t freeze well, so it’s best to make them fresh each time you want to eat them.
Are shortcakes the same as biscuits?
No, shortcakes and biscuits are the same, and shortcakes are fluffier and more like cake, while biscuits are denser.
Can I use whipped cream for berry shortcakes?
If you’d rather have whipped cream on top of these shortcakes instead of the cream cheese frosting, you can definitely buy Cool Whip, bottled whipped cream, or make your own at home.
Can I make the shortcake from scratch?
This recipe uses pre-made cakes, which makes this recipe quick and easy to put together after dinner. You can make individual shortbread cakes from scratch if you prefer.
No-Bake Red White and Blue Berry Shortcakes
No-Bake Red White and Blue Berry Shortcakes are delicious little cups of shortcake filled with fresh berries and a cream cheese frosting.
- 8 vanilla dessert shells
- 3 ounces blackberries
- 3 ounces raspberries
- 3 ounces blueberries
- 6 strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package cream cheese, room temperature (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- For the frosting: add sugar, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla to a large bowl.
- Use a hand mixer on medium speed to mix until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides as needed.
- Continue mixing until frosting reaches a fluffy and creamy consistency.
- Frost each shortcake by spooning the frosting and then cover with the berries.
- The leftover berries can be placed on the plate next to each shortcake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g