Slow Cooker Tomato Soup is a creamy meal made by slowly simmering onions, garlic, tomatoes, and dried Italian herbs for six hours on low heat. Cream is added at the end, making this an excellent tomato bisque. Sprinkle freshly shredded parmesan cheese and sliced basil on top for even more flavor.
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
This tomato soup recipe is entirely vegetarian and keto-friendly and can easily be made vegan by leaving out the cream at the end. This homemade version is so much better than any canned Campbell’s soup you could ever buy at the store, and it’s effortless to make from scratch and is considerably healthier. You can even eat this soup cold right from the refrigerator.
How to make slow cooker tomato soup:
Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes with the juice in the can, water, basil, and oregano to the bowl of the slow cooker.
Stir to combine.
Set the slow cooker to cook on low for six hours or high for three hours.
When the cook time is up, transfer the soup to a blender with the heavy cream and blend until smooth.
Work in batches, if needed.
Return the soup to the slow cooker and set the slow cooker to high to warm the soup, if needed.
Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Tips for Success:
Here are some tips for success on how to make these the best slow cooker tomato soup you’ve ever had.
- Add tortellini or vegetables like asparagus, green beans, corn, spinach, kale, lentils, potatoes, red bell peppers, carrots, pasta, rice, quinoa, white beans,
- Make this soup dairy-free by leaving out the cream at the end of cooking.
- If you have one, use an immersion blender to cut out the mess of transferring the soup in batches to and from a blender.
- Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Add shredded chicken for extra protein.
How to Serve:
How to Store:
You can keep leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Heat it up in the microwave in 30-second increments until hot all the way through.
Also, you can freeze the soup in quart-sized freezer bags or an airtight container for up to three months. To thaw, keep it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. You can also microwave it on high for four minutes at a time until hot.
Is tomato soup good for you?
This recipe is very good for you! You can leave out the cream at the end if you want to make it even healthier.
Can I make this crockpot tomato soup recipe with fresh tomatoes?
Yes, you can make this soup with fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes if they are in season and ripe. You can use cherry tomatoes or even roasted tomatoes as well.
How can I make this soup in an instant pot?
It’s easy to make this soup with a pressure cooker. All you need to do is add the ingredients to the instant pot bowl, seal on the lid, and cook for 20 minutes. Carefully release the pressure, remove the cover, and serve immediately.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28-ounce cans of whole tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes with the juice in the can, water, basil, and oregano to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to cook on low for six hours or high for three hours.
- When the cooking time is up, transfer the soup to a blender with the heavy cream and blend until smooth. Work in batches, if needed.
- Return the soup to the slow cooker and set the slow cooker to high to warm the soup, if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 13gProtein: 6g