This Faux Stained Glass American Flag Craft is a patriotic kids craft idea that is fun and easy to complete, with just a few materials needed!
Faux Stained Glass American Flag Craft
Looking for something crafty for your kids as schools ends and summer rolls in? Get ready for Memorial Day or 4th of July with this kid friendly Faux Stained Glass American Flag Craft. It’s super easy and a great keepsake you won’t mind displaying.
Older kids will know the design of the flag already but younger kids may need to see a picture of Old Glory. You can use this easy crafting activity as a learning experience to talk about the 50 stars, the colors, the thirteen stripes.
On our flag, we wrote the name of a dear friend who was killed in action in Afghanistan while tending to his wounded fellow soldiers. SSGT Stephen New was a hero who saved lives as he gave his own and we celebrate his life and remember his sacrifice every Memorial Day.
This year, my children will lay this flag at SSGT New’s grave as we remember him and all the service members who paid the ultimate price for our freedom and safety. Happy Memorial Day and God Bless America!
What you will need to make stained glass with paper:
I’m linking to these items on Amazon (I am an affiliate), so you can see what they are or even purchase ahead of time so you have the needed items on hand, and save a trip to the store!
How to make faux stained glass American flag:
- First, cut your contact paper to the size flag you desire.
- Remove the backing and lay the contact paper flat on your work surface. If your contact paper is from a roll, you may need to tape the ends to the table to prevent it from rolling up.
- Next, cut your tissue paper into 1×1-inch squares.
- TOP TIP: For a short cut, stack all your tissue paper together, cut long strips out, then cut the strips into the squares. Once your tissue paper squares are cut, it’s time to begin creating!
- Now simply start placing your tissue paper squares onto the sticky contact paper and repeat repeat repeat!
- Once you’ve created your beautiful flag, cut an additional piece of contact paper the same size as your first piece.
- Remove the backing and carefully place directly on top of the tissue paper decorated side.
- Smooth to make sure there are no air bubbles. Ta da!
- Enjoy as a decoration or even make it a part of celebrating Memorial Day or the 4th of July.
Variations & helpful hints:
- You could use a similar approach to create your State flag too.
- I’ve made the American flag, but you can make a whole range of stained glass designs using this exact same process.
- Add some glitter, sprinkle over the tissue paper before you add the top layer of contact paper.
- Don’t layer the tissue paper too thickly onto the contact paper as you want the light to shine through.
Hosting a party? Try some of my patriotic desserts which are sure to be a hit at any patriotic party:
Do you know a child that would love to make this Faux Stained Glass American Flag Craft? Share with us in the comments, we love to hear from you!
Like this craft idea? Be sure to PIN IT and Follow me on Pinterest! Subscribe via Email, RSS Feed, orFollow me on Bloglovin so you don’t miss out on any fun craft projects that you can do with the children in your life!