Cherry Limeade Cake is a quick and easy dessert made with a box of white cake mix, Sonic Cherry Limeade gelatin, cherry icing, lime juice, and maraschino cherries. This delicious recipe is perfect for potluck parties or an easy after-dinner dessert.
Cherry Limeade Cake
This homemade cherry cake is a hit for birthday parties and is made in a bundt pan which makes beautiful patterns in your cake. You can also make it in a 9×13 inch baking dish or turn it into a sheet cake using a large cookie sheet with high sides. Any way you bake it, this cake is definitely one the whole family will love.
How to make cherry limeade cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a Bundt cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Beat together the cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil until well combined.
Add the gelatin and mix until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool until the pan is safe to touch, then flip the cake over onto a serving plate and allow to cool completely.
When the cake is cool, prepare the glaze by mixing together the butter, powdered sugar, cherry juice, and lime juice until smooth and well combined.
Add more lime juice, if needed, to thin the glaze.
Spread the prepared glaze over the top of the cake and allow to set before serving.
Garnish the cake with cherries and lime slices, if desired.
Tips for Success:
- Use Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines cherry chip cake mix.
- Other ways you can make this cake are into a pound cake, angel cake, bundt cake, cupcakes, poke cake, coffee cake, cobbler, or cheesecake.
- Add in some Dr. Pepper or Coke for a fun flavor.
- Place cherries on the cake or pour cherry pie filling over the top
- Substitute the icing with chocolate frosting to make a chocolate-covered cherry limeade cake!
How to Serve:
Here are some amazing main dishes that pair well with this cherry limeade cake for dessert.
How to Store:
Keep the cherry limeade cake in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap or aluminum foil on the counter for up to three days. You can put it in the refrigerator, but it will dry out more quickly.
A great way to save the cake for later is to freeze it. You can do this before or after you pour on the icing.
It works best to cut the cake into individual pieces, wrap them with plastic wrap, and then place them in a large zip-top freezer bag.
Be sure to write what it is and the date on the bag with a permanent marker so you remember what you’ve saved later.
To thaw frozen cake, leave it out on the counter for a couple of hours.
What other flavors can I add to this cherry limeade cake?
If you’re adventurous and want to add or substitute some other fun flavors here are some great ones to try: chocolate, lemon, strawberry, pineapple, almond, vanilla, coconut, sour cherry pie filling.
Can I use cherry pudding instead of cherry gelatin?
Yes! Cherry pudding will make your cake softer and denser. It’s definitely worth a try.
How can I make this a cherry upside-down cake?
Upside-down cakes are beautiful. To make this into a cherry upside-down cake, pour cherry pie filling in the bottom of the bundt pan and then pour in the batter. When it’s cooked through and has cooled for 10 minutes, carefully flip the pan over away from yourself. Voila!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3.94 ounce package Sonic Cherry Limeade Gelatin
- Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup juice from maraschino cherry jar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Maraschino cherries
- Sliced limes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a Bundt cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together the cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Add the gelatin and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool until the pan is safe to touch, then flip the cake over onto a serving plate and allow to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, prepare the glaze by mixing together the butter, powdered sugar, cherry juice, and lime juice until smooth and well combined.
- Add more lime juice, if needed, to thin the glaze.
- Spread the prepared glaze over the top of the cake and allow to set before serving.
- Garnish the cake with cherries and lime slices, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g