Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup is incredibly easy to make for busy weeknight dinners. All you need to do is add in the boneless skinless chicken breasts, fresh herbs, vegetables, and broth and let it simmer all day. The shredded chicken and warm broth are perfect for a cold winter day or a comforting tonic when you feel under the weather. Either way, it’s a dish your whole family will love.
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
It’s best to make this soup on chilly days when you want a delicious meal that’s not too much effort. The tender chicken, slow-cooked vegetables, and extra wide egg noodles are all that’s right in the world. It’s the ultimate comfort food and an easy slow cooker meal. Top the soup with some green onions, fresh thyme, or a splash of olive oil.
Place the chicken breast in the bowl of the slow cooker.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and parsley.
Add the onion, celery, and carrot to the bowl.
Pour in the chicken broth and water.
Stir to mix.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
When the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and chop it into small bits.
Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the cooked egg noodles.
Expert Tips and Variations
Here are some excellent tips and tricks to make this slow cooker chicken noodle soup.
- Add the egg noodles in for the last 15 minutes to cook if you want to skip the step of cooking them in a separate pot.
- Toss in other vegetables like potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, peas, or corn.
- Add cream to the pot after it’s done cooking to make creamy chicken noodle soup.
- Use a rotisserie chicken, chicken thighs, or even a whole chicken instead of chicken breasts.
- Add other herbs like rosemary, oregano, or a bay leaf.
- Use other types of noodles like spaghetti, penne, shells, farfalle, or elbows.
- You can use chicken stock or broth, either one will work.
How To Serve
This delicious crock pot chicken noodle soup is best served with bread, oyster crackers, saltine crackers, cornbread, roasted vegetables, or a crunchy green salad.
You can also pair it with Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Asparagus, Puff Pastry Asparagus, or Sheet Pan Garlic Potatoes and Green Beans.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Keep leftover homemade chicken noodle soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: If you want to heat up leftovers for the whole family, pour the soup into a pot on the stove and bring it to a simmer.
For an individual serving, you can scoop some into a bowl and put it in the microwave in 30-second increments until it’s heated all the way through.
Freeze: You can freeze this soup for later if you’d like. Keep in mind that the noodles won’t hold their texture as well as the other ingredients. If you’re planning on freezing the soup ahead of time, you may want to freeze it without the noodles and then add them after you’ve reheated the soup.
Why are my noodles soggy in crockpot chicken soup?
If you add the noodles too soon, they’ll cook too long and get mushy. Be sure to put them in the slow cooker a few minutes before you’re ready to serve the soup and not at the beginning of the cooking process.
Can I use frozen chicken in the crockpot?
It’s not a good idea to use frozen chicken when cooking in the crockpot because it takes too long for the chicken to move through the temperature danger zone to a safe level.
Can I use bouillon cubes instead of chicken broth to make chicken noodle soup?
You can use bouillon cubes and water instead of chicken broth, but the flavor won’t be as rich. It’s best to use those cubes when you only need a cup or two of chicken broth and not an entire pot.
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup is incredibly easy to make for busy weeknight dinners with chicken, herbs, vegetables, noodles, and broth.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 32-ounce container chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces egg noodles, prepared
- Place the chicken breast in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and parsley.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot to the bowl.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water.
- Stir to mix.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set it to cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- When the cooking time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and chop it into small bits.
- Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the cooked egg noodles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1248mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g