Chicken Enchiladas are the perfect comfort food made with shredded chicken, cream cheese, diced tomatoes, beans, cheese, and enchilada sauce. This cheesy chicken dish has a Mexican flair and pairs well with cilantro rice and a cold margarita!
This chicken enchiladas recipe is quick and easy to make, especially when you buy ingredients that are already partially prepped for you. It only takes 10 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to bake. This means that you can have this dish on the table on a busy weeknight in under an hour!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
Add the cream cheese, diced tomatoes, chicken, taco seasoning, and beans to a large bowl.
Stir to combine.
Heat the tortillas according to the package instructions.
Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla.
Roll up and place seam side down over the top of the sauce.
Top the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce and the shredded cheese.
Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.
Serve and enjoy!
Expert tips and variations
These easy chicken enchiladas are easily adjustable to fit your tastes and preferences. Here are some tips to help you make the best chicken enchiladas you’ve ever had.
- You can also make these authentic chicken enchiladas in a crockpot or instant pot.
- Try different sauces like green, red, white, or buffalo sauce.
- Swap out the shredded chicken for shredded or chopped pre-cooked beef.
- Buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat for a quick shortcut.
- Use flour tortillas instead of corn for a different flavor and texture.
How to serve
Serve these healthy chicken enchiladas with sour cream, green chili, diced green onions, white rice, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, garlic parmesan asparagus, sheet pan green beans, or roasted broccoli.
How to store
To refrigerate: Keep leftover enchiladas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To freeze: You can also freeze an extra batch of leftovers. Put them in an aluminum foil pan and wrap the pan in plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for up to three months. Be sure to write what it is and the date you made it, so you know what you have in there later.
To meal prep: It’s easy to prep these ingredients, so you can make this dish even more quickly during the week. Assemble the dish before you’re ready to bake since the corn tortillas will fall apart once covered in the enchilada sauce.
Are enchiladas better with corn or flour tortillas?
This is totally your preference! Traditionally, they are made with corn tortillas, but you can swap out flour tortillas if you prefer.
What’s the difference between red sauce and green sauce?
Red sauce is made with red chili peppers, while the green sauce is made with tomatillos, cilantro, onions, and garlic.
What other type of cheese can I use on chicken enchiladas?
This recipe uses a shredded Mexican cheese blend, but you can also use mozzarella cheese, cheddar, or Monterey jack cheese.
- 1 can enchilada sauce, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add the cream cheese, diced tomatoes, chicken, taco seasoning, and beans to a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Heat the tortillas according to the package instructions.
- Place about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up and place seam side down over the top of the sauce.
- Top the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 834mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g