Instant Pot Shredded Italian Chicken is a delicious addition to side dishes, chicken enchiladas, or chicken salads. This go-to recipe only takes 30 minutes to make so it’s perfect for last-minute meal prep and busy weeknights. It’s a recipe the whole family will love.
Instant Pot Shredded Italian Chicken
Using a pressure cooker is the easiest way to make cooked chicken ready to add to your favorite dish in just 10 minutes. The best part is that you can double the recipe and make enough to save for later. With just two basic ingredients, this will quickly become a family favorite you’ll make every week.
How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Italian Chicken
Add the chicken to the bowl of the Instant Pot and top it with the Italian dressing.
Place the lid on the pot and seal the vent.
Set the pot to cook on high for 10 minutes.
Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes after the cook time is up, then manually release the rest of the pressure.
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
Return the chicken to the pot and stir it into the liquid before serving.
These tips and tricks will help you make this tender chicken recipe.
- Shred the chicken using two forks or tongs or a simple hand mixer – it will practically fall apart.
- Add enough liquid to the bottom of the pot so it doesn’t burn while cooking.
- Frozen chicken works as well as fresh chicken breasts.
- Use skinless boneless chicken breasts so you don’t need to spend time removing the skin and bones later.
- Saute the chicken using the saute function before pressure cooking for even more flavor.
This flavorful chicken is easily adaptable. You can use your favorite spices and herbs to make it exactly how you like. Here are some options to get you started.
- Make your own homemade Italian vinaigrette instead of using Italian dressing. This is a great way to cook the chicken at the last minute if you don’t have dressing at home.
- Add extra spices or herbs like Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, or taco seasoning to really amp up the flavor.
How To Serve
Serve this delicious chicken on top of other dishes to make a complete meal. You can pair it with a side dish or salad for a tasty lunch as well.
How To Store
Refrigerate: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Reheat: When you’re ready to eat some leftover chicken, place it in the microwave and heat it in 30-second increments until it’s heated through.
Freeze: Our favorite way to save chicken to add to other meals later is to freeze it. Portion it into small or quart-size zip-top bags, fold to remove extra air, and seal. Keep them in the freezer for up to three months. Label and date the bags so you know what you’ve saved. This also helps you remember the date by which they need to be used.
Can I make Italian shredded chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this shredded chicken recipe in a crockpot. This way will take three to four hours rather than about 30 minutes in the instant pot.
What type of chicken is best for making shredded chicken?
This recipe will turn out great with either chicken breasts or chicken thighs. If you use thighs, you may need to spend a little extra time removing any extra fat after cooking.
Can I make a big batch of instant pot shredded Italian chicken?
Yes! This is a great way to meal prep and have plenty of chicken ready to go at any time. Freeze any extras in individual serving sizes (freezer bags work great for this).
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- Add the chicken to the bowl of the Instant Pot and top it with the Italian dressing.
- Place the lid on the pot and seal the vent.
- Set the pot to cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes after the cook time is up, then manually release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks, then return the chicken to the pot and stir it into the liquid before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 567mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g