*This post may contain affiliate links.
My kids are HUGE Star Wars fans, and love all things Star Wars related. One of my kids requires extra fiber in his diet, and doesn’t love all of the fiber filled foods his nutritionist wants him to eat. I try to get creative in finding ways to make these foods tastier and more appealing to him. When one of my contributors came up with the idea to put an icing R2D2 on top of a granola bar comprised of the ingredients I need my son to eat, I knew it was an idea I had to try. The icing is a bonus for us, because he needs the extra calories as well. Ideally, I’d like to be able to make smaller, R2D2 shaped granola bars that are already in the right shape that I can just put icing into the bottom to freeze onto the mold before I pour the granola ingredients in to. I’ve been searching on Amazon for an R2D2 silicone mold, and found one that is 7 x 4 x 1 inches, but that would just make a gigantic R2d2 granola bars, and I need individual sized bars. I don’t think he’d eat them if he just saw the big one and then I cut it into pieces. Mom has to use her Jedi Mind Tricks to entice him 🙂
Granola Bar Recipe:
- 1 cup packed dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup creamy salted peanut butter
- 1/3 C pumpkin seeds,
- 1/3 C raisins,
- 1/3 C sunflower seeds w/ flax seeds,
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- -Prepare a 8 X 8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- -Put dates in a food processor for about 1 minute or until only small bits are left.
- -Toss in the oats,pumpkin seeds, raisins, sunflower seeds and flax in a large bowl.
- -On low heat cream together the honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan.
- -Pour the combined honey and peanut butter into the dry mixture. Stir well.
- -Add the processed dates, thoroughly mixing.
- -Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- -Using your hands press the mixture into the baking dish. Push the bar mixture to fill the corners and level it out throughout the dish.
- -Cover with cling wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes.
- -Check to see the bars are hard.
- -Take out of the refrigerator and cut into bars.
Royal Icing Recipe:
2 egg whites
1 C powder sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Black, grey, white, blue, and red gel food coloring
-Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
-If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powdered sugar.
– Spoon two TBSP of icing into a bowl, add several drops of red gel food coloring. Mix well.
-Divide the remaining icing into fourths. The first of the fourth of icing stays white in one bowl. The second of the fourth remaining icing add several drops of black gel food coloring in another bowl. Stir well.
-The third of the fourth remaining icing add in several drops of grey gel food coloring in a last bowl. Stir well.
-The fourth and last of the icing into another bowl, adding several drops of blue gel food coloring. Mix well.
-Locate a picture of R2D2 on Google. Save the image, and size it to the size you want the R2D2 to be for your granola bars. I use PicMonkey, which has free and paid options, you should be able to resize for free. Print the picture in color. Tape this picture with several small R2D2’s of it on it to a cookie sheet. You can search for FREE R2D2 Printables or FREE R2D2 Coloring pages. I found an example here.
-Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the R2D2) to the cookie sheet . Follow the color and features as printed on the paper.
-Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining R2D2 first. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
-Draw a black line 1/3 rd down of R2D2 to divide it in thirds. Fill in the bottom 2/3 rds with the white icing. Allow to dry for 30-60 seconds then add three blue lines across R2D2 directly under the grey top third of R2D2. Add two thicker white lines directly next to the three blue lines on R2D2’s body ending almost two thirds down on the body. Directly under the three blue lines using the white icing make 2 heavy white dots on each side.
-Under the middle of the three blue lines draw a cinder block shape with blue icing filling in the two center holes with white icing. Next draw a blue tall column, a blue egg shape and a blue circle. Outline the shapes first then fill them in with the blue icing. Leave a small space between
each of them. Between the blue column add a grey dot and between the blue egg shape and circle add a white dot.
-Fill in the top third of R2D2 with grey icing allowing it to dry for 30-60 seconds.
– Make four small squares in the blue icing; three on the left side, one of the right side, and one on the of R2D2. Next add two blue rectangles in between the squares on the left and the right sides. Add a red dot on top of the blue rectangle next to the three blue squares. Next to the red dot add a grey dot. Add a blue rectangle above the first rectangle and add a small black dot on the rectangle on R2D2’s forehead.
-At the very bottom of R2D2 outline and fill in a thick black line. After 30-60 seconds of drying add seven grey squares on top of the black thick line.
-Allow R2D2 to air dry for 5-10 hours.
Completing the R2D2 Granola Bar:
-Drizzle the white icing on the granola bar then place R2D2 on top of it.
Here are some Star Wars Cooking Accessories that would be a GREAT addition to the kitchen of any Star Wars fan!!!
Star Wars R2-D2 Silicone Ice Tray / Chocolate MoldKotobukiya Star Wars R2-D2 Silicone Ice Tray / Cake Mold: Deluxe (DX) LargeKotobukiya Star Wars Silicone Ice Trays/Chocolate Molds, Set of 6Set of 8 Star Wars Silicone Ice Trays / Chocolate Molds: Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, X-Wing Fighter, Millennium Falcon, R2-D2, Han Solo, Boba Fett, and Death StarStar Wars R2-d2 Silicone Birthday Cake Pan Mold TrayICUP Star Wars Darth Vader Be The Character ApronStar Wars Lightsaber BBQ Tongs with Sounds – Barbecue Like a Jedi (22Star Wars Salt & Pepper ShakersStar Wars Stormtrooper Silicone Heat Resistant Oven MittStar Wars Death Star Waffle Maker And Darth Vader Kitchen Appliance Gift SetStar Wars Kid’s R2D2 Apron Youth Apron With Adjustable Neck and TiesStar Wars: Oven Glove: I AM R2-D2Jell-O Star Wars Jigglers Mold Kit, Strawberry + Blue Berry GelatinThe Star Wars Cook Book: Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic RecipesWookiee Pies, Clone Scones, and Other Galactic Goodies: The Star Wars CookbookThe Star Wars Cookbook II -Darth Malt and More Galactic RecipesIce Sabers: 30 Chilled Treats Using the Force of Your Freezer! (Star Wars Cookbook)