My Instant Pot Poached Chicken not only tastes great but has ZERO Weight Watchers Points! Perfect in a whole variety of dishes and ideal for all those low carb meal plans.
These delicious Instant Pot Poached Chicken Breasts are not only really healthy, but they tasted great and are really versatile. Poach the chicken and use it straight away or cool and refrigerate, ready to use in a variety of different recipes and dishes throughout the week.
With a hungry family to feed, it’s fair to say that we eat a LOT of Chicken in our home. When I’m busy through the week I typically put a chicken in the slow cooker in the morning with some chicken broth, salt, pepper, and other seasonings. Or I purchase a Rotisserie Chicken from the Supermarket and pulled a meal together once I get home.
However, I don’t always have time for those options, so I’ve been looking for alternatives. I finally caved and got an Instant Pot, and discovered a delicious way to quickly poach chicken breasts in the Instant Pot in just a few minutes!
How to make Instant Pot Poached Chicken:
This posts shows you how to make tender, juicy chicken breasts in minutes.
- To begin, season the chicken as desired. You can use bone in or boneless chicken breasts, with or without skin.
- Place the chicken into the Instant Pot, add the bay leaves, and pour in the chicken broth.
- Crush the garlic with the back of your knife and add to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot on manual for 12 minutes.
- Once cooked, choose between either natural or quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and use immediately or cool and then refrigerate for later.
Flavoring the Poached Chicken:
I have poached my chicken breasts in chicken broth with some garlic, bay leaves , salt and black pepper. However, you can get creative and use any flavorings that work for you and the dish that you are planning to cook.
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Broth – use chicken or vegetable
- Fruit & Vegetables – onion; green onions; garlic; root ginger; fresh chili; lemongrass; lemon; lime
- Fresh or Dried Herbs – bay leaves; parsley; thyme; rosemary; basil; cilantro; oregano
- Spices – smoked paprika; ground cumin; ground coriander;
- The chicken breasts can be bone-in or boneless; with or without skin.
- I have used chicken breasts in this recipe, but you can also use this method to cook chicken legs or thighs too. In fact you can cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot, just adjust cooking times accordingly!
- Don’t throw away the cooking liquid as it is packed full of flavor. Instead use this delicious chicken broth to make a great tasting soup.
Instant Pot Poached Chicken – a great make ahead dish!
I’m a huge fan of getting ahead, especially through the week when we are all pushed for time. Having some chicken already cooked in the refrigerator is a great way of getting meals on the table – fast!
Prepare and poach the chicken when you have time, allow it to cool then place in an airtight container with a lid. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze Instant Pot Poached Chicken?
It is really easy to freeze this chicken ready to use another day. Once cooked allow the chicken to cool completely. Place it in a suitable container with a tight fitting lid and place it in the freezer. You can store chicken in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can you cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot?
We all have those days when we forget to take the chicken out of the freezer. Not a problem with the Instant Pot as you can cook the chicken breasts from frozen as it is cooked quickly and using pressure.
Just ensure that you adjust the cooking times and if using frozen chicken breasts you use the natural release function!
You can serve my poached chicken from the Instant Pot as it is, with some steamed rice or noodles and your choice of vegetables or salad.
You can also shred or dice the chicken to use in a recipe. This simple poached chicken works in a variety of dishes including stews and soups; salads and sandwiches; Italian pasta dishes; spicy Mexican dishes. The list is endless!
Great ways to use Instant Pot Poached Chicken:
Here are a few examples of the recipes on this site that I plan to try out using this Instant Pot Poached Chicken. With just a few swaps and adjustments to spices and seasonings, depending on the individual recipe!
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad
- Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tuscan Chicken w Penne Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chicken Carbonara
- $1.50 Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Divine Casserole
- Loaded Roasted Potatoes & Chicken
- Mexican Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup broth or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- additional seasoning as desired
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing Instant Pot Poached Chicken Breasts in my own kitchen:
Instant Pot LUX60V3 V3 6 Qt 6-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and WarmerOXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone HeadsEpicurean Kitchen Series Cutting Board, 14.5 by 11.25-Inch, SlateOXO Good Grips Meat Shredding Claws with HandlesDOWAN 14-Inch Porcelain Serving Platters/Dinner Plate Set – 3 Packs, White & Rectangular