This Homemade Slow Cooker Chili is the perfect dinner for cool fall nights.
Last week, with the onset of Fall, I just had to make some Homemade Chili in the slow cooker.
First, I chop my Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms, and Jalapeno, and add them to a saute pan to cook. Feel free to add a dab of butter to get them going. I saute them until the onions are clear.
Meanwhile, I am browning the ground beef and sausage in another skillet. I crumble them together, and when they are done, you can’t tell what’s what.
While that’s all cooking, I add ALL of the cans into my slow cooker. I have a large slow cooker (for those who asked, it’s a Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 Qt, I included a link to it here and at the bottom of the post. I’ve had it for several years, it was a Christmas Gift), and this fills it to the brim. The best thing about this, is you can tweak it to your preferences. Like it thicker, use larger cans of paste (I use the small ones) or add an extra small can. Likewise, you can omit one of the cans of sauce if it’s too much. Same with the beans. I use two of each, but you could just as easily reduce or increase that number, according to your preferences.
The first night I serve it, we’ll usually eat it straight, sometimes over rice, with chili on top, and maybe some cornbread. A day or so later, we’ll have Chili Dogs for dinner 🙂 Because this makes so much, I freeze the leftovers in my Rubbermaid Containers, and I can usually get 2 additional meals out of it. During the fall/winter, we typically have this twice a month, so it’s pretty economical when you consider I get 4 dinners for 5 people out of each batch!
- One Medium Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (we prefer maple)
- 2 cans Chili Tomato Sauce
- 2 cans Tomato Sauce
- 2 cans Tomato Paste (basil, oregano preferred)
- 2 cans chili beans
- 2 cans light kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 can Rotel
- Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Chop Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms, and Jalapeno
- Add them to a saute pan to cook
- Brown Ground Beef & Sausage together in a skillet
- Pour beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, and dash of worcestershire into Slow Cooker
- Add Vegetables and Meat Mixture to Slow Cooker
- Set Slow Cooker on Low and let it cook for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with crackers, or over rice.
- Top with cheese, if preferred.
These are a few of the items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this recipe:
Hamilton Beach 33461 Stay or Go 6-Quart Portable Slow CookerT-fal C51402 Excite Nonstick Thermo-Spot Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe PFOA Free Fry Pan Cookware, 8-Inch, RedT-fal A91082 Specialty Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Jumbo Cooker Saute Pan with Glass Lid Cookware, 5-Quart, BlackOXO SoftWorks Can OpenerHamilton Beach 76606ZA Smooth Touch Can Opener, Black and ChromeCrockpot 22-ounce Double Handle Soup Bowls, Set of 2 Red4-pack Glazed Tuscan Soup/chili Bowl Set Mulberry Red