This Ravioli with Homemade Tomato Sauce is really easy to make, and perfect for a weekend family dinner.
Ravioli with Homemade Tomato Sauce
When you have a 2nd generation Italian descendant in the family, pasta dishes are frequently on the menu rotation. I try to mix up the different variations and make a few changes to my Homemade Tomato Sauce, depending on what type of pasta I’m serving. This is my recipe for Ravioli with Homemade Tomato Sauce. I love to talk about food and recipes with people when I’m out and about, and I’ve found that many people are intimidated by the thought of making Homemade Tomato Sauce. I always reassure them that the task isn’t too daunting. I think people see the required cook time and worry that it’s too involved. But, it really isn’t. GOOD sauce just needs time to simmer. I also double or quadruple the recipe, and freeze or can it to use later. It drastically reduces the amount of time required in the kitchen, so it can work for a weeknight meal.
First, gather all of your ingredients so everything is handy as you prepare the dish.
HOMEMADE TOMATO SAUCE
Homemade Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
These are a few items I find helpful in my own kitchen when preparing this Ravioli with Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe:
Hunt’s Puree Tomatoes, 29 Ounce (Pack of 12)BOBS RED MILL SEA SALT, 32 OZT-fal A91082 Specialty Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Jumbo Cooker Saute Pan with Glass Lid Cookware, 5-Quart, BlackBertolli Extra Virgin Olive OilBialetti 7265 Trends Collection 5 Quart Pasta Pot, Charcoal
Like this Ravioli with Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe? Be sure to PIN IT and Follow me on Pinterest! Karen Puleski – Kdkaren. Subscribe via Email, RSS Feed, or Follow me on Bloglovin so you don’t miss out on any delicious recipes!
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 6 cups pureed tomatoes (1 8oz can is equal to 1 cup), if using whole tomatoes, it would be about 2 pounds.
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Onion
- ⅓ Cup basil
- Ravioli Ingredients:
- 4 Cups uncooked ravioli
- 4 quarts of water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Sauce Instructions:
- Put the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and the garlic cloves and saute until the onion is clear.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and sea salt and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove from heat and add pepper to taste.
- Serve with pasta or pizzas and enjoy.
- Ravioli Instructions:
- Over medium heat place a pot with the 4 quarts of water and the tbsp of salt.
- Once it's boiling add the uncooked ravioli and cook for 5 minutes (or according to your packaging directions)
- Drain the ravioli leaving around ¼ cup on water in the pot.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.