Eden Bistro, located in the Eden Boutique Hotel, is one of Tel Aviv’s newest and most highly rated restaurants, offering innovative Eastern European cuisine with an Israeli flare, and perfectly positioned just an arm’s reach from the Carmel outdoor food market and Mediterranean Sea.
In celebration of Tel Aviv’s buzzing summer months, Eden Bistro has offered a quick and easy recipe for “Sweet & Sour Cherry Vareniki,” a coveted dish popular in Russia and Ukraine, straight from the family cookbooks of Eden Bistro owners Sergey Solovyov and Michael Ustinov.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 17 ounce flour
- Two eggs
- 1.5 lb sour cherries
- Brown Sugar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- Dash of cinnamon
- Crème fraîche
- Vanilla ice cream
- Bring ½ cup water to a boil, and add one teaspoon of salt. Slowly mix in 5.6 ounces of flour and add additional 2 cup water at room temperature. Add two eggs, one by one, while slowly adding an additional 11.4 ounces of flour, stirring until all ingredients are soluble. Refrigerate for 40 minutes.
- Thoroughly wash sour cherries, removing all pits. Sift under water and gently press cherries, letting juices drip into a glass bowl. Add 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar to the cherry liquid, and place under a low flame to create reduction. Add ½ cup dry red wine and a dash of cinnamon.
- Remove pastry from fridge, and use roller to flatten to approximately ½ inch each. Use small glass cup and press dough to create circular portions. Add a dash of brown sugar to the bowl of cherries, and place three cherries into the middle of each dumpling, and press all corners to contain ingredients. Boil dumplings in water for approximately two minutes each. Place three vareniki on each plate, and cover with crème fraîche, teaspoon of cherry sauce and vanilla ice cream.
The Eden Hotel Group is a cultural hospitality brand founded in Tel-Aviv in 2009.
Eden Boutique Hotel is located in a meticulously preserved International architecture-style building dating back to the 1920’s – and located just a short walk from Tel Aviv’s Neve Tzedek neighborhood boasting fashion, art, culinary and cultural attractions, as well as the famed Carmel Market and vibrant beaches. The hotel’s acclaimed Eden Bistro offers a gourmet dining experience unlike any other in Tel Aviv, combining French and Israeli-inspired culinary traditions with a modern Eastern European twist, with all ingredients sourced daily from the nearby market.
*This is not a sponsored post, content is posted with permission from Eden Boutique Hotel.
I am excited to be bringing you another healthy summer grilling recipe, courtesy of Medifast, in honor of National Grilling Month! Today’s recipe is for Lemon Scallion Chicken & Vegetable Kabobs! This recipe yields 3 servings, and is ready in about 30 minutes start to finish (plus 30 minutes soak time for wooden skewers!). If you are following the Medifast (or other diet) program, you’ll be interested in knowing:
Each serving counts as: 1 “Leaner” Protein Serving; 1 Healthy Fat Serving; 3 Vegetable Servings; 3 Optional Condiment Servings
Nutrition: Cal 380; Total Fat 11g; Sat Fat 2.5g; Chol 145mg; Sod 520mg; Total Carb 13g; Fiber 4g; Pro 56g
- 24 oz raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast (should yield three 6-oz cooked servings)
- 2 cups (2 small) summer squash*
- 2 cups (18 medium) mushrooms, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups (1 small-medium) zucchini*
- 1 cup (8 medium) cherry tomatoes
- *Half lengthwise, then cut into 1" chunks
- Lemon scallion sauce:
- ¾ cup (4-6) scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt or salt substitute
- 6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp hot red pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine scallion sauce; set aside. (You may wish to reserve part of this sauce for finished kabobs.)
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Thread kabobs with chicken, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
- Brush kabobs before and during cooking with sauce.
- Grill kabobs 10 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
July is National Grilling Month! We love to grill in our home, and as long as the weather cooperates, we do so almost every night of the week! We make a conscious choice to try and grill healthy food on most nights (a few cheat nights here and there with some of our guilty pleasure treats and desserts). If you binged last week for the 4th (who didn’t?!), you may be searching for some healthier choices for this week.
According to a survey from Medifast, over half of the participants just sit and eat at a BBQ rather than move around and partake in physical activity…So why not add some healthy, light and delicious meals to the menu to make up for the lack in cardiovascular activity? To help combat the BBQ weight gain, Medifast has created a few grilling recipes perfect to help celebrate National Grilling Month while keeping you slim and trim, and I’ll be sharing a few of them over the next couple of weeks!
This recipe for Peppercorn Steak serves 1, and if you are following the Medifast Program, you’ll be interested in knowing it is: 1 Lean | 2 Green | 3 Condiments.
Per serving: 360 calories | 17g fat | 5g carbohydrates | 44g protein
- 7 oz flank steak
- ¼ tsp whole peppercorns
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced thin
- ½ cup green bell peppers, chopped
- Mix the peppercorn, salt, mustard, garlic powder, and thyme.
- Rub evenly over steak.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium heat.
- Grill steak five to seven minutes on each side, until steak is desired doneness.
- Grill mushrooms and green peppers until tender; serve alongside steak.
- A quarter thick amount of whole wheat pasta
- 3 table spoons of Garlic salt
- 1 cup of shredded asiago aged cheese
- 1 table spoon of parsley
- 2 table spoons of butter
- 1½ cups of milk and 1 cup of water
- First start by adding your pasta and layer all the other ingredients on top of it. Then add in the milk and water. Turn the burner on high until you get a boil going. then turn it down to low. Stand next to it and keep mixing the noodles around. once the noodles are tender and most of the water gone, It is done! Takes about 10 minutes for the noodles to be done. Then mix it around and dish it out. Can also sprinkle with more cheese if you just love cheese!
- It literally takes seconds to throw together and minutes to cook! A-MA-ZING!
- SIDE NOTE(This is enough for two people) Cooking times may vary, Can add salt & pepper to taste