Mexican Chicken is a family favorite, and we rarely have leftovers!
Mexican Chicken Recipe
Mexican Chicken is a Family Favorite, and we RARELY have leftovers! In fact, now that my boys are all in or approaching the teenage years, I now have to DOUBLE this recipe, using a 9×13 size pan. I can only imagine it’ll get worse the older they get 😀
1 Bag Doritos
3 Cooked Chicken Breasts, shredded – I cook mine in my slow cooker all day so it’s ready at meal time
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can Rotel
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
2 Cups Shredded Cheese (Colby tastes best, but if I can get a Cheddar/Colby Mix or even just Cheddar on sale, I use that!)
Spray 9×13 pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray (I use Pam)
Pour a layer of Doritos on the bottom – use your discretion how much your family likes – mine wants the whole bag, LOL
Place the shredded chicken on top
Mix the Soups, Rotel, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, and Chicken Broth (I use what’s in the slow cooker)
Pour the soups over the chicken & chips
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes
Take it out, layer the shredded cheese on top, and return to the oven for 5 minutes
Serve it up and Enjoy!
I have also heard this recipe (or variations of it) referred to as Doritos Chicken or Rotel Chicken. My mom started making this for us when I was very young. I have always picked out the onions (I never liked them, and now am allergic to them – my lips and tongue swell up). When I was old enough to make it myself, I just started leaving them out 🙂 If you like onions, just chop one up, saute it until it’s clear, and add to the mixture.
- 1 Bag Doritos
- 3 Cooked Chicken Breasts, shredded - I cook mine in my slow cooker all day so it's ready at meal time
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Can Rotel
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (Colby tastes best, but if I can get a Cheddar/Colby Mix or even just Cheddar on sale, I use that!)
- Spray 9x13 pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray (I use Pam)
- Pour a layer of Doritos on the bottom - use your discretion how much your family likes - mine wants the whole bag, LOL
- Place the shredded chicken on top
- Mix the Soups, Rotel, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, and Chicken Broth (I use what's in the slow cooker)
- Pour the soups over the chicken & chips
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes
- Take it out, layer the shredded cheese on top, and return to the oven for 5 minutes
- Serve it up and Enjoy!
These are a few of the items I find useful in my own kitchen when preparing this recipe *Note: I prefer buying the spices I use regularly in bulk, because I find it saves me quite a bit of money versus buying the small jars or packets, whenever possible. The tongs are great for removing the hot chicken from the slow cooker when it’s time to shred it.
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker, 6-QuartPyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 8.9 Inch X 13.2 Inch – 3 QtCounterArt Flexible Cutting Mat with Food Icons, Set of 4AmazonBasics 18-Piece Dinnerware Set, Service for 6AmazonBasics 16-Piece Cafe Stripe Dinnerware Set, Service for 4 – GreySet of 3 – 7, 9, 12 Inch Heavy Duty, Non-stick, Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs for Barbeque, Cooking, Grilling Turner – A Serving and Feeding Set for Your Kitchen CollectionDoritos Flavored Tortilla Chips, Nacho Cheese, 42 Ounce (Pack of 4)Campbell’s, Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, 10.5oz Can (Pack of 6)McCormick Dark Chili Powder, 20-OunceMcCormick Fine Garlic Powder, 21-OunceSwanson Chicken Broth – 32 oz. – 3 ct.Pam Original Cooking Spray, 6 oz