Homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe:
My family loves to eat Sweet & Sour Chicken, but there aren’t any Chinese Restaurants close to our house, and it gets expensive to purchase enough to fill up these growing boys. I went on a mission scouring the internet for recipes, so I could try to re-create this meal at home. I found one that looked like something I could manage over at Joyful Momma’s Kitchen. It was just very recently published (yay for my good fortune!) as part of her 365 recipes in 365 days journey. I can’t wait to see what else she tries! To begin, I cut the chicken into bite size pieces, and set aside. I gathered the ingredients for the breading (Corn Starch and Eggs).
I placed half of the corn starch on one bowl, half in another, and scrambled the eggs in a third bowl with a touch of milk. I placed the chicken to the far left, then a bowl of starch, bowl of eggs, bowl of starch, and then my 12″ Cast Iron frying pan, to form an assembly line of sorts. Dip and toss to cover the chicken in the cornstarch, egg mix, cornstarch, and then place in the pan.
Once it’s in the pan, you want to make sure the pieces aren’t sticking together, and turn it once the bottom is browned, so you can brown the other side.
While that is cooking, you can make the sweet & sour sauce.
Mix all of those ingredients in a bowl and stir.
When the chicken is done, place it in a greased 9×13 baking pan. Pour your sweet & sour sauce over it, and place in a 350 degree oven. You will cook this for an hour, but need to toss the chicken every 15 minutes or so, so the sauce can bake in.
It looks so yummy when it’s done.
I served our Homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken with brown rice and broccoli with cheese.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Touch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup corn starch, divided
- 2 eggs beaten, add touch of milk (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup cooking oil - I used EVOO
- Sauce Mix:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces
- Prepare assembly line of cornstarch, eggs, cornstarch, frying pan
- Dip and coat chicken in each bowl, then place in frying pan.
- Fry over medium heat until the chicken is brown. It doesn't have to cook all the way through, you're going to bake it for an hour.
- Put the chicken in the baking dish and coat with sauce mix.
- Bake for 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes.
- This post is not sponsored but may contain affiliate links.
These are some of the items I used to prepare this dish, that you might find helpful in your own kitchen: