Homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe:
My family loves to eat Sweet & Sour Chicken, but there aren’t any Chinese places close to our house (that I am aware of) and it gets expensive to purchase enough to fill up these growing boys. I went on a mission scouring the internet for recipes, so I could try to re-create this at home. I found one that looked like something I could manage over at Joyful Momma’s Kitchen. It was just very recently published (yay for my good fortune!) as part of her 365 recipes in 365 days journey. I can’t wait to see what else she tries! To begin, I cut the chicken into bite size pieces, and set aside. I gathered the ingredients for the breading (Corn Starch and Eggs).
I placed half of the corn starch on one bowl, half in another, and scrambled the eggs in a third bowl with a touch of milk. I placed the chicken to the far left, then a bowl of starch, bowl of eggs, bowl of starch, and then my frying pan, to form an assembly line of sorts. Dip and toss to cover the chicken in the cornstarch, egg mix, cornstarch, and then place in the pan.
Once it’s in the pan, you want to make sure the pieces aren’t sticking together, and turn it once the bottom is browned, so you can brown the other side. Note to self: As you can see in the third photo, the corn starch formed sort of a cast on my fingers. I’d advise washing hands a few times while doing this so you don’t have to break your fingers free from a corn starch mold 🙂 Next time, I will also make more chicken and use a larger pan.
While that is cooking, you can make the sweet & sour sauce. I gathered my ingredients and was worried about the amount of Ketchup I had left in the bottle. My spare pantry bottle was gone, and this is what was left in the bottle in the fridge. It was exactly 1/4 cup, which is what I needed. We are recovering from the Nemo Blizzard, and the car was still buried, so it wasn’t like I could run out for more…
When the chicken is done, place it in a greased 9×13 baking pan. Pour your sweet & sour sauce over it, and place in a 350 degree oven. You will cook this for an hour, but need to toss the chicken every 15 minutes or so, so the sauce can bake in.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Touch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup corn starch, divided
- 2 eggs beaten, add touch of milk (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup cooking oil - I used EVOO
- Sauce Mix:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces
- Prepare assembly line of cornstarch, eggs, cornstarch, frying pan
- Dip and coat chicken in each bowl, then place in frying pan.
- Fry over medium heat until the chicken is brown. It doesn't have to cook all the way through, you're going to bake it for an hour.
- Put the chicken in the baking dish and coat with sauce mix.
- Bake for 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes.
- Please visit full post at: http://whenisdinner.com/homemade-sweet-sour-chicken/ for step by step instructions with photos.
This recipe was shared at:
- Chicken Recipe Round Up
- Craft O Maniac
- Creative Bloggers Party
- Hunk of Meat Monday
- Make the Scene Monday
- Monday Funday #6
- Recipe Round Up – Dinner in Under an Hour!
- Show and Tell Saturday #4
- Sugar & Spice
- Whatcha Whipped Up
- What’s Cooking Wednesday