This homemade cornbread is so easy to make, and is the perfect way to round out your dinner. Add in some melted butter and drizzle with honey for an extra special treat!
I love cornbread.
Growing up, it’s the bread that we frequently had accompanying our dinner most nights.
We’d cut out a piece, slice it open, slide in a bit of butter to melt, and devour it.
My own kids really enjoy eating it too, and since they’re growing tweenagers, I usually make two pans at a time.
In addition to sliding butter into each slice, we like to drizzle a little bit of honey over the top, for an extra special treat.
The recipe calls for a regular baking pan, because not everyone owns a cast iron skillet.
However, if you have a cast iron skillet, I recommend using that.
Cornbread in a cast iron skillet is SO GOOD!
The one featured above is affordable, and if you frequently make cornbread (WE DO), you won’t regret it!
I melt butter in the skillet and use it to coat the bottom and sides, instead of using non stick spray.
Also, I prefer to make my cornbread with buttermilk instead of regular milk.
Either will work, but it’s hard for me to find buttermilk in a small container.
I use it frequently, so the larger quantity doesn’t go to waste.
If you can’t get a small bottle, regular milk will be fine 🙂
KEY INGREDIENTS IN HOMEMADE CORNBREAD:
- Butter: You can use oil, lard (Crisco), or butter to make cornbread, but butter gives the best flavor and yields the best results. ADDITIONALLY, be sure to slice the cornbread horizontally in the middle and add a dab of butter to melt, while the cornbread is hot. IT’S SO GOOD!
- Buttermilk: You can use Milk or Buttermilk, but Buttermilk makes the cornbread extra moist. My beloved Granny insisted that ALL her cornbread was made with buttermilk, so that’s the way I make mine 🙂
- Buttermilk Substitute: If you are out of Buttermilk, you CAN make a substitute at home, though actual buttermilk gives the BEST result. To make Buttermilk Substitute, add 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to a large liquid measuring cup, then pour room temperature whole milk to make 1 cup total. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. This will sour the whole milk so it can be used in the recipe.
- Cornmeal: You really can’t make cornbread without cornmeal! Slightly more cornmeal than flour yields the BEST cornbread. With 1 1/4 cup of cornmeal, you should get the most flavorful cornbread.
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup of whole milk or buttermilk
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 1/4 cup of yellow corn meal
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 266Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 332mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CORNBREAD:
Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4-5 days.
HOW TO FREEZE CORNBREAD:
Freezing Instructions: To freeze, store cornbread in an airtight container, clearly labeled with contents and date, for up to 3 months. When ready to use, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. You can heat up in the microwave, but for best results, bake at 300°F in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Optional add-ins: Diced jalapeño peppers, 1 cup any berries, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or bacon crumbs.
Optional TOPPINGS: Extra butter, Drizzled Honey, Honey Butter, Jelly or Jam.
These are a few items I find helpful when preparing Homemade Cornbread in my own kitchen:
OXO Good Grips 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown HandlesSilicone Spatula, Stainless Steel Core Heat Resistant Non stick Rubber Spatulas, Set of 4Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Square Cake Pan, Will Heat Evenly for Years of Quality Baking, 8-inchesWilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Mini Loaf Pan, 8-CavityOXO Good Grips Batter BowlWilton 2103-1112 Scoop-It Batter Spoons, Set of 3Tovolo Cupcake ScoopKitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk – Contour Silver
Don’t miss these additional bread recipes here at When Is Dinner:
- Strawberry Bread
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Blueberry Breakfast Bread
- Homemade Pumpkin Bread