This homemade cornbread is so easy to make, and is the perfect way to round out your dinner. Add in some melted butter and drizzle with honey for an extra special treat!
I love cornbread. Growing up, it’s the bread that we frequently had accompanying our dinner most nights. We’d cut out a piece, slice it open, slide in a bit of butter to melt, and devour it. My own kids really enjoy eating it too, and since they’re growing tweenagers, I usually make two pans at a time. In addition to sliding butter into each slice, we like to drizzle a little bit of honey over the top, for an extra special treat.
The recipe calls for a regular baking pan, because not everyone owns a cast iron skillet. However, if you have a cast iron skillet, I recommend using that. Cornbread in a cast iron skillet is SO GOOD! I melt butter in the skillet and use it to coat the bottom and sides, instead of using non stick spray. Also, I prefer to make my cornbread with buttermilk instead of regular milk. Either will work, but it’s hard for me to find buttermilk in a small container. I use it frequently, so the larger quantity doesn’t go to waste. If you can’t get a small bottle, regular milk will be fine 🙂
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup of whole milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 Egg (Large)
- 1 1/4 cup of yellow corn meal
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375’F
- Spray your pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, egg and butter.
- Using Hand Mixer. mix on low for about 1 minute.
- Add in flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Pour your mixture into your prepared pan.
- Place into your oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for about 25 minutes on until golden on top.
- Use a tooth pick and stick it in the middle and if it comes out clean, it is done.
- For best results, Allow to cool about 5 minutes and Serve warm.
This post is not sponsored but may contain affiliate links. Below are a few products that you might find useful when making this recipe. Enjoy!
Non-Stick Steel 8-Inch Square Cake Pan by Boxiki Kitchen | Durable, Convenient, Premium Quality No-Stick Baking Mold Cookware | Square Cake Pan 8Camp Chef True Seasoned Cornbread Cast Iron Wedge PanFreshware SL-101RD 6-Cavity Pyramid Shape Silicone Mold for Soap, Cake, Bread, Cupcake, Cheesecake, Cornbread, Muffin, Brownie, and MoreLodge Cast Iron 7-Stick Cornstick PanCamp Chef Cast Iron Western Corn Bread PanOXO Good Grips 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/YellowOXO Good Grips Batter BowlOXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon WhiskKitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire RedBaker’s Secret 1061483 10-by-16-Inch Nonstick Cooling Rack, Set of 2OXO Good Grips Silicone Spoon Spatula, Medium, RaspberryWilton 2103-1112 Scoop-It Batter Spoons, Set of 3